However, it’s necessary that you know how browser cookies are used on our site AND what you can do to disable them.
Are you ready?! So read on to find out all things cookie-related…
WHAT ARE COOKIES?
There are several types of cookies. Here are the cookie definitions defined HERE:
SESSION AND PERSISTENT COOKIES
Cookies can expire at the end of a browser session (from when a user opens the browser window to when they exit the browser) or they can be stored for longer.
- SESSION COOKIES – allow websites to link the actions of a user during a browser session. They may be used for a variety of purposes such as remembering what a user has put in their shopping basket as they browse around a site. They could also be used for security when a user is accessing internet banking or to facilitate use of webmail. These session cookies expire after a browser session so would not be stored longer term. For this reason session cookies may sometimes be considered less privacy intrusive than persistent cookies.
- PERSISTENT COOKIES – are stored on a users’ device in between browser sessions which allows the preferences or actions of the user across a site (or in some cases across different websites) to be remembered. Persistent cookies may be used for a variety of purposes including remembering users’ preferences and choices when using a site or to target advertising.
- FIRST AND THIRD PARTY COOKIES – Whether a cookie is ‘first’ or ‘third’ party refers to the website or domain placing the cookie. First party cookies in basic terms are cookies set by a website visited by the user – the website displayed in the URL window. Third party cookies are cookies that are set by a domain other than the one being visited by the user. If a user visits a website and a separate company sets a cookie through that website this would be a third party cookie.
Here are the types of cookies used on this site:
Necessary cookies enable core functionality. The website cannot function properly without these cookies, and can only be disabled by changing your browser preferences.
The necessary cookies we use are:
- Mailchimp/MailMunch, which is our email service
Analytical cookies help us to improve our website by collecting and reporting information on its usage.
The analytical cookies we use are:
- Google Analytics
SOCIAL SHARING COOKIES
We use some social sharing plugins, to allow you to share certain pages of our website on social media. These plugins place cookies so that you can correctly view how many times a page has been shared. There are also cookies which allow users to easily follow J9 Designs on social media sites.
The social sharing cookies we use are:
- Facebook (to display Facebook posts within articles and to adequately track Facebook sharing numbers)
- Instagram Feed (to display Instagram feed)
- Simple Social Icons (a social follow widget)
- Simple Share Buttons (to display social follow and share buttons)
- Ninja Forms
Our advertising partners include:
- Commission Junction
HOW TO DISABLE COOKIES
Cookies will make your browsing experience better. Users may give or refuse consent to cookies upon first visit to our website. The decision expires after 30 days, at which time you will be asked to give content at your next visit.
Below you will see a box that indicates whether you have cookies enabled or disabled on our website.
Another way to disable cookies on all websites is to disable cookies in your browser. If you wish to disable cookies, you may do so through your individual browser options. More detailed information about cookie management with specific web browsers can be found at the browsers’ respective websites.
We suggest consulting the Help section of your browser or taking a look at HERE which offers guidance for disabling cookies in all modern browsers.