Blogspot Blogger seems to have its own set of issues when it come to in post share buttons.
Are you a Blogspot Blogger searching for the perfect share buttons that include a Pinterest Button and a Twitter button that share using your own Twitter Handle?
Recently, I had a blogging friend who was unhappy and struggling with this very concept and she tried to put ShareThis buttons on her blog to alleviate the issue at hand. They indeed worked, but the Twitter Button would only technically share to @sharethis and not to her very own Twitter account.
Why was she using ShareThis?
Because Blogger’s Own Share Buttons seem to not include Pinterest. Pinterest is a huge social network to share to and many bloggers rely on it for traffic. So, not to have it included in that bottom panel of share buttons is really a major disappointment here.
So, at this point she told me that she tried everything she could think of and even Googled to try to find a solution for getting her Twitter Handle to be included in ShareThis Twitter share button.
So in essence she had a Pinterest share button, but her Twitter shares where not being redirected back to her own Twitter account.
When I saw her dilemma, I offered my help. I began to take a look at the code on her site and use Google myself.
I came up with a few suggestions, but all were not the solution for getting her Twitter Handle to indeed appear.
I was told not to worry, but I am stubborn and knew I needed to figure this one out.
A few hours later, after piecing together 3 different websites tutorials, I figured it out and got it to work.
So here now for all Blogger Blogspot Blogs is a way around the above aforementioned issue.
I thought I would share, because I have heard that this is a major issue on Blogger’s Platform.
1. The first step is to go to your Blogger Dashboard and click on “Template” in the left menu, which is second from the bottom on that menu list.
2. Now that you are in “Template”, you will want to click on “Edit HTML”.
3. You will need to open up the code that reads:
<b:includable id=’post’ var=’post’>. Once you open this, you will have to now find this piece of tag coding, <data:post.body/>
4. To insert buttons below your post, you will want to insert this whole code below the <data:post.body/> line:
5. On Line #29, you will see: data-via=”. In between the ‘ ‘, please insert “YOUR TWITTER HANDLE HERE”
6. This will now fix the problem with now sharing with your Twitter Handle. There is one last part that needs to be handled here and that the way the code is set up the Pinterest Share Button doesn’t show up on the front page of the blog, only on posts.
7. In order to alleviate this last remaining issues, we must DELETE this line of code (line 40):
<b:if cond=’data:blog.pageType == "item"’>
and DELETE this line of code (line 55):
8. Once this is completed, you had have perfect Blogger In-Post Share Buttons that include your Twitter Handle for the Twitter Share Button and also a functioning Pinterest Share Button, too.
Hope this tutorial has helped you and so happy to share this will all the Blogger Blogs out there!